Its Diwali and its the ideal time to prepare some Sweets!! I thought for a long time about the dish that best suits the occasion and finally came up with Basundi Recipe. Basundi is a gala sweet and so, use it to pamper your guests, your family members, and of course your own taste buds!!
And Basundi is more special to me since it was my Dad who taught me how to prepare this sweet Actually, my dad prepares it better than anyone in my family and I guess he is the best Basundi cook in the whole world! The look of Basundi, with all the dry fruits, the yellow coloring, itself attracts people towards it.
Then comes the taste… So mesmerizing, so smooth and so tasty, that you just say Mmmmmmmmmm… and ask for more!! You can experience the wholesome taste of milk, saffron and the dry fruits when the dish is served chilled.
Try out this wonderful dessert and delight your family. I am starting off with the recipe of Basundi, one of the most loved milk sweets. Take off….
Ingredients in the Basundi Recipe:
- Full fat milk : 1 litre
- Sugar: 1/2 cup
- Cardamom: 3 pods
- Almonds: 5(blanched)
- Pistachios: 3(skinned)
- Saffron: 10-15 threads
The Basundi Recipe:
- Soak saffron in 2 tea spoons fo hot milk and keep it aside.
- Chop finely and crush coarsly, the almonds and pistachios.
- Peel and powder cardamom seend with a mallet.
- Add it to the chopped dry fruit mix.
- Make small pieces of saffron in a cup, and dissolve it in milk.
- Pour milk in a large deep pan, on medium flame and stir ocassionally.
- When it starts boiling, reduce the heat and continue to boil.
- Stir frequently, till milk is 2/3 in volume.
- Add all the dry fruits and cardamom to the boiling milk.
- Boil further for 3-4 mins.
- turn off the stove and allow it to cool a little.
- Pour this mixture into a large decorative serving bowl.
- Allow to cool completely, chill in refridgerator for 4-5 hours.
- To avoid a layer forming on the surface, stir frequently while cooling.
- Serve chilled in individual cups and garnish it with some strands of saffron.
Additional Info with Basundi Recipe:
Serving : Serves 2
Preparation Time : 1 hr
Difficulty Level : Very Easy
Calories : 1995
Sweets are always sweet, I hope you had a great time learning the Basundi Recipe. I will post more recipes of sweets and desserts soon!