Butter Chicken is one of the best known Indian foods all over the world. Its a flavourful, spicy chicken dish. The gravy of this dish can be made as hot or as mild as you like so that it suits most people’s tastes. This dish is also called as Murg Makhani and it just tastes best with black lentils – Kaali Daal, Kulcha or Naan and a good green salad. You can even prepare Butter Chicken on the grill. For best results, use a whole chicken cut up into small pieces.
I thought of writing this recipe inspired by my muslim neighbour who is an expert at this dish. When made by him, the ravishing aroma of this dish, especially the butter, would travel throughout the neighbourhood and I bet that even the vegetarian guys would have fallen for this mouth-watering smell;)
I learnt it from him, and so, would like to dedicate this post to him. Thank you uncle… your dish is just awesome
Make a note of the ingredients and the preparation method and take your neighbourhood by storm!!
Buttter Chicken Ingredients :
- Boneless Chicken (skin removed) : 1 kg
- Fresh Yogurt (not sour) : 1 cup
- Red chilli powder : 1 table spoon
- Garam masala powder : 2 tea spoons
- Cumin powder : 1 table spoon
- Coriander powder : 2 tea spoons
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tea spoon
- Cloves : 6-8
- Peppercorns : 6-8
- Cinnamon : 1″ stick
- Bay leaves : 2 nos.
- Cardamom : 3-4
- Almonds : 8-12
- Ginger paste : 1 tea spoon
- Onions (chopped) : 2
- Garlic paste : 2 tea spoons
- Oil : 3 table spoons
- Chicken Stock : 1/2 litre
- Lime juice : 1 whole lime
- Butter : 3 table spoons
- Coriander leaves : 4-5 strands
- Salt to taste
Preparation method :
- Place the chicken in a deep bowl and mix it with lime juice, red chilli powder and salt and allow it to marinate for about 1 hour.
- Roast the peppercorns, cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon, almonds and bay leaves for a minute and then grind them into a fine powder.
- Now mix yogurt, the above made powder of spices and all the remaining spices and mix it with the chicken. Allow it to marinate for about 45-50 minutes.
- Next, heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions to it. Fry them until they turn golden brown and then add ginger garlic paste to it and fry for 1/2 to 1 minute.
- Now add the chicken pieces and fry it till all pieces turn opaque (this indicates that the chicken is sealed now).
- Add the chicken stalk to this fried chicken and cook till the chicken is done and the volume of the gravy is reduced to half.
- Now, melt the butter and pour it all over the chicken.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with the above mentioned kulchas or naans and Kalli Daal.
Additional Information on Butter Chicken Recipe:
Serving: Serves 4
Preparation Time: 45 minutes (excluding marination time)
Difficulty Level: Easy
Note : If you want to have an authentic an traditional cooked-over-the-coal floavour , heat a briqutte of coal until it is red hot and once the dish is prepared, put the coal in the container and cover immediately. Remove the coal pieces just before serving.
I hope the Butter Chicken Recipe truly treats your taste buds as it is truly one of the most appreciated chicken dishes. Do comment on the recipe and provide your feedback.