It been a while since I posted any chicken recipies. So I thought , why not write a small recipe about my favourite non-vegetarian curry- The Chicken Masala Curry. You can call it ‘The Grandmother Recipe’ as people are preparing this curry and and enjoying its taste from time immemorial. Infact, I dont even remember the first time I tasted this dish as it was way back in my childhood.
For me, this dish is most enjoyed while it is being cooked. The strong aroma of the masalas touching your nose and the the gold-colored, soft, boiling chicken tempts you to taste it even before the dish is completely cooked.
I usually prepare Chicken Masala on Sunday afternoons. With my family waiting at the dining table, its a good family treat. Chicken Masala tastes best when eaten along with Ragi Balls (and people who have no idea what Ragi Balls are, watch out for my next recipe!!).
So, ready for a nice sunday lunch?? Here goes the preparation method for Chicken Masala.
Ingredients for Chicken Masala :
- Chicken (washed and cut into medium sized pieces) : 1 kg
- Red chilli powder : 1 tea spoon
- Curd : 3-4 table spoons
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tea spoon
- Cashew Nuts : 9-10
- Milk : 4-5 table spoons
- Oil : 4 table spoons
- Onions (finely chopped) : 2 (big)
- Tomato (finely chopped) : 1 (big)
- Ginger-Garlic paste : 1 tea spoon
- Coriander Powder : 1 tea spoon
- Cumin Powder : 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander leaves : 2 strands
- Cinnamon : 1-2
- Curry Leaves : 1-2 strands
- Cloves : 4
- Black Pepper Powder : 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
Chicken Masala Recipe :
- Take red chilli powder, turmeric powder, curds and salt and make a paste out of it.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the above prepared mixture and leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a fine paste out of cashew nuts and milk and keep it aside.
- Dry roast cinnamon, cloves and some curry leaves for about a minute and powder them finely.
- Heat 2 table spoons of oil in a vessel.
- Now add the chopped onions into it and fry till it turns transparent or slightly pink.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for another 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add coriander powder, cumin powder and pepper powder with the onions, mix well and fry for one more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and let it cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Mix it well and cook till the oil separates.
- Turn off the heat and cool the masala. Once cooled, grind it into a paste and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 table spoons of oil in a vessel and add the marinated chicken pieces to it.
- Cook on high flame for 5 minutes, reduce the heat to medium flame and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the masala paste, cashew nut paste and the powder mix of cinnamon, cloves and curry leaves to the above cooked chicken and mix well.
- Continue cooking on medium flame till the chicken pieces are soft enough and till you get the desired thickness in the curry.
- Add salt.
- Chicken Masala is ready. Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Additional Information on Chicken Masala Recipe :
Serving : Serves 4-5
Preparation Time : 30-35 minutes
Difficulty Level : Very easy
Calories : 1125
Chicken Masala has been one of the best South Indian dishes and is a favorite among the Telugites. It has a rich blend of spices giving it the aroma of a heavenly dish. Do try it out and feel free to share your experiences so that we can make this tasty dish even more tastier!!