Dosas are a brilliant blend of flavours, colors, seasonong, nutritional balance, fragrance, taste and great visula appeal and also boast off an innovative variety of fillings. So, I have brought to you some really tasty dosa recipies. Lets get started with the famous Masala dosa recipe …
Masala Dosa is a very well known dish all over India. Its simple and equally tastier. Bangalore boasts off some of the best dosa joints in the country. One of them is the Vidhyarthi Bhavan which is one of the oldest hotels in the city. They are famous for special masala dosa recipes and prepare them with perfection. The hotel structure belongs to the 1960′s and this is also one of the reasons why most of the senior citizens are regular customers here.
They come here and eat the dosas with all the past memories buzzing in their heads. The dosas here are quite small compared to the routine ones. But they are thick and are smeared with loads and loads of ghee.
The fragrance that comes out of this dosa is so enchanting that anyone will be smitten by it. Mmmmmmm… Mouth-watering… Totally!! This description has made me go there right away and grab a plate of hot hot Masala Dosa. Masala Dosa goes very well with coconut chutney and I recommend that you taste this dish atleast once.
Ingredients in the Masala Dosa Recipe:
For Dosa Batter:
- Urad Dal: 1/2 Cup
- Tuvar dal: 1/2 cup
- Chana dal: 1/2 cup
- Rice: 4 cups
- Salt to taste
For the Masala:
- Boiled and slightly mashed potatoes: 3 cups
- Chopped onions: 2 cups
- Boiled peas: 1/2 cup
- Finely chopped green chillies: 3-4
- Ginger: 1/2 inch piece
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Olive oil (optional): 3 tbl spoon
- Mustard seeds: 3 tbl spoon
- 1 pinch of Asafoetida
- Curry Leaves : 4-5
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder: 1 tea spoon
- Cumin powder: 1 tea spoon
- Chopped Coriander
- Grated fresh coconut: 1/2 cup
Masala Dosa Recipe:
For the dosa mix:
- Soak rice for 8-10 hours.
- Now, combine and soak the dal for about 2 hours.
- Grind the dal in a blender adding enough water to make a smooth mixture. Follow the same for the rice.
- Mix it with salt and set aside the mixture in a warm place. Allow it to rise over night.
For The masala:
- Stir the ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Add the potatoes, peas and the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
Making the Dosa:
- Heat the griddle or the non-stck pan.
- Use a ladle to pour the mixture onto the pan and spread out to form a thin round pan cake. Cook for 2 mins.
- Spread the butter evenly over the layer. Flip over and repeat the same.
- Spread a layer of the chutney.
- Top with the masala and fold into an envelope.
- Remove from pan and serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
Additional Information with Masala Dosa Recipe:
Serving: Serves 6
Preparation Time: 1 day (for fermentation of the batter), 3 mins to cook each dosa
Difficulty Level: Easy
Masala Dosas form a wonderful evening snack and a golden-roasted Masala Dosa garnished with a small butter cube on the top is just irresistable!! There are more and more Dosa recipies coming up… so stay tuned!