Rava Idli is the best breakfast dish that I learnt from my mother. I first tasted rava idli when I was 10 and I am still not able to forget that moment. Thats when I strongly decided to learn cooking. My mother used to prepare this every sunday as i could enjoy it well without having the tension of getting late for school!!
There are many instant mixes available in the market. But trust me, nothing gives you the satisfaction of preparing this dish entirely in your kitchen. The taste differs so much that you will start hating the instant ones. Right then, lets concentrate on the lesson now without wasting more time… Rava Idly tastes best with Coconut chutney so make sure you read Coconut Chutney Recipe aswell. Just make a note of what goes into making this wonderful mouth-watering dish:
Ingredients in the Rava Idli Recipe:
- Rava: 1 cup (medium thickness)
- Finely chopped green chillies: 2-3
- Channa Dal: 1 tea spoon
- Grated carrot: 3/4 cup
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tea spoon
- Soda: 1/4 tea spoon
- Cashews : 1 tbl spoon (adds a little zing to the dish)
- Ginger paste: 1/2 tea spoon
- Freshly grated coconut: 2 tbl spoon
- Coriander leaves: 2-3 strands
- Yogurt or curd: 1 cup
- Oil: 1-2 tbl spoon
- Salt to taste
Rava Idli Recipe:
- Heat the oil and add mustard seeds.
- When they start popping, add ginger paste, green chillies, channa dal and allow them to splutter for sometime.
- Reduce the heat and immediately add rava, mix well.
- Add salt, soda, carrot, coriander leaves, coconut, curd and mix well.
- Leave it for around 30 mins ( something like fermenting).
- Smear the idli cups with a little oil or wet it with water. this will prevent the idlies from sticking to the surface
- and helps in easy clean-up.
- Keep one full cashew at the center of every cup and then pour the mixture on top ( so that, when the idlies are removed, the
- cashew can be seen on the top).
- Steam for around 12-15 mins ina pressure cooker (Just like the cooking time of normal idlies).
- Serve hot.
Additional Information along with Rava Idli Recipe:
Serving: Serves 2
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Difficulty Level: Very Easy
I hope you enjoyed the recipe of Rava Idli. Please leave a comment below if you have any questions or if you want to just post about your experience on Rava Idlis.