Rava upma is undoubtedly the easiest dish to cook!! I can say this because eve an 8 year old can do it. Yes, I learnt how to cook Rava Upma when I was just 8 years old, and believe me, it turned out to be tastier than an upma made by a master chef!
This is when my love for cooking started as this provided a great boost to my confidence.Any beginners out ther – I highly recommend that you try out this dish first.
Even though Rava upma is very easy to prepare, there is no compromise in its taste. The aroma of ghee will leave you wanting for more. Its melt-in-the-mouth, soft texture and the great aromas will be a great treat to your taste buds. The dish tastes best when it is served hot.
So don’t miss this one out… Its a true South-India dish.
Make a quick note of the ingredients and the preparation method.
Rava Upma Ingredients :
- Sooji/Rava : 1 cup
- Vermicelli : 2-3 table spoon
- Urad dal : 1 tea spoon
- Channa dal : 1 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tea spoon
- Green chillies : 2-3
- Onions (finely chopped) : 1/2 cup
- Ginger (finely chopped) : 1/2 tea spoon
- Tomato (finely chopped) : 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves : 1 strand
- Asafoetida powder (optional) : a pinch
- Coriander leaves (chopped) : 1-2 tea spoons
- Lemon juice : 1 tea spoon
- Ghee/Clarified butter : 1 tea spoon
- Oil : 2 tea spoons
- Water : 2-3 cups
- Salt to taste
Preparation Method :
- Place a pan on the stove and heat the oil and ghee in it.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and a pinch of asafoetida powder and fry till they turn golden brown. Be careful here as the mustard seeds start to splutter as soon as they are dropped in oil.
- To this, add chopped green chillies and ginger and fry for another minute.
- Next, add the vermicelli and mix the contents for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add chopped onions and fry it till the onions start turning transperent.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and mix the contents well.
- After everything has been cooked, add some water and salt and let the mixture boil for 5 more minutes (approx.).
- Now add the Rava to this liquid mixture and start stirring briskly. Also make sure that no lumps are formed during the stirring process.
- Cover the vessel with a lid for about 6-8 minutes or till it is fully cooked.
- Next, reduce the flame and add the chopped coriander leaves and some curry leaves and mix it a little.
- Turn off the flame and transfer the contents into a hot case.
- Rava upma is ready. Serve hot with chutney or sugar.
Additional Information on Rava Upma Recipe:
Serving: Serves 3
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty Level: Very Easy
Note that addition of tomatoes is optional. For those who don’t like tomatoes, you can still prepare Rava Upma just by negating the tomatoes. The dish tastes just as great
Do try it out and post your comments and feedback here. I would love to hear it from you