The other day, I went to have lunch at a posh hotel in Bangalore in the noon as I was really feeling very hungry and had the least bit of patience to cook. I happened to order the Vegetable Biryani so that it fills my stomach right and I can have a hearty nap once I get back home.
The order was taken and I was really very eager to gorge on the Vegetable Biryani…. Yummy yummy…!!! The idea of my vegetable biryani is that of an aromatic, spicy, steaming hot and an out ‘n’ out mouth-watering dish. But once the dish was placed on my table, I began to wonder what this dish which lay in front of my eyes actually was!!
It neither had the rich aroma nor the spicy zings a biryani is supposed to have and my mouth actually went dry at the sight of it!! It was just hot… steaming hot and nothing else… I got up, paid the bill and told them to change the recipe as soon as possible.
So, I just thought that I can post this recipe so that people who think and eat some colored rice as Vegetable Biryani can actually get to know what this dish is all about… Here goes the preparation method of this classic Indian Rice dish…
Ingredients in the Vegetable Biryani Recipe:
- Rice : 3 cups
- Beans: 100 gms
- Carrot: 100gms
- Turnip: 100gms
- Green peas: 1/4 cup
- Onion: 250gms
- Curd : 1 cup
- Ginger paste: 1 tea spoon
- Chopped mint leaves: 2 starnds
- Chopped coriander: 2 strands
- Green Chillies : 6
- Garlic paste: 1 tea spoon
- Chopped Tomatoes: 2
- Cumin Powder: 1 tea spoon
- Coriander powder: 1 tea spoon
- Cinammon powder: 1 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 tea spoon
- Clove powder: 1 tea spoon
- Ciammon stick: 1
- Cardamoms: 2
- Chopped cashewnuts: 1 tea spoon
- Cloves: 2
- Chopped onions: 2
- ghee/ clarified butter: 2 tbl spoon
- Milk: 1-2 tea spoon
- Pinch of saffron
- Salt to taste
Vegetable Biryani Recipe:
- Mix curd, ginger paste, chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander leaves, green chillies, garlic paste
- chopped tomatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder, cinammon powder, red chili powder, clove powder, cinammon stick.
- Add salt to taste.
- Now add beans, carrot, turnip, green peas to the above masala mixture and leave it to marinate for about half an hour.
- Pour ghee into a frying pan and heat it.
- Add cinammon, cloves and cardamom.
- Fry the mixture for about 15 secs and then add chopped onions.
- Add the vegetables when the onions become slightly red.
- Cook the vegetables till the masala turns aromatic and the vegetables are sofe enough.
- Do not add water since the masala should be free from moisture.
- Pressure cook the rice in the normal way.
- Mix saffron into the milk.
- Take one cup of cooked rice and add a little saffron-milk into it.
- Mix the colored rice with the remaining cooked rice.
- Spread this rice on a deep oven-safe bowl to entirely cover the bottom.
- Now add the vegetables on top and again spread uniformly.
- Cover with a foil and bake the dish for 20-25 mins.
- Take out the foil.
- Garnish Vegetable Biryani with chopped and fried cashew nuts.
- Veg Biryani is ready to serve.
Vegetable Biryani Recipe – Additional Information:
Serving: Serves: 6
Preparation Time: 40-45 mins
Difficulty Level: Easy
I hope you enjoyed reading my Vegetable Biryani Recipe, stay tuned to my blog’s RSS feed for more delicious recipes!