- ¼ cup Pearl Millet (Bajra)soaked for 4 hours and drained
- ¼ cup Moong Dalsoaked for an hour and drained
- 1 cup Mixed vegetablesFrench beans, peas and carrots. Cut in small cubes
- 1 large TomatoChopped finely
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Crushed Green Chilli-Ginger
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Garam Masala PowderOptional
- 2 tsp Pure Ghee
- ½ tsp Lemon Juice
- Coriander leavesfor garnishing
Pressure cook Bajra and moong with little salt and peas with 1 cup water until 5 whistles. Once the steam is cool, open the pressure cooker and mix the bajra moong and peas well.
Now in a pan, heat ghee. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Once it crackles, add curry leaves and ginger-green chillies paste. Stir it for a minute once the raw smell leaves.
Now add the tomatoes and a little salt. Let them cook for about 5-6 minutes. Once cooked, add chopped carrots and French beans. Add a little salt, the remaining spices – turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder. Add a little water.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes on slow flame until the vegetables are soft.
Once the vegetables are soft, add the bajra, moong and peas mixture.
Taste the mixture for salt. Combine the Khichdi well.
Add water if you feel it is too thick. Let it cook on slow flame for 5-7 minutes.
When you can smell the masalas well, switch off the flame.
Add lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix well.
Bajra and Moong Khichdi is ready to serve