- 1 ½ cup Gram Flour (Besan/Chickpea Flour)
- 1 cup Marwari Boora Sakkar/powdered jaggery
- ¼ cup Pure Ghee
- 1 ½ tsp Green Cardamom Powder
Ladoos are one of the best mithai’s during Diwali Times. Whether it is Besan ka Ladoo or Dry Fruit Ladoo, Diwali is just incomplete without them. So, today I am sharing my mother’s recipe of Besan Ladoo. It is a full proof recipe if you follow the tips as well as the recipe well.
- The quality of the Chana Dal used for making the flour or Besan is very important. Ensure that the quality of the Dal is excellent.
- If you’re buying the Besan or getting it milled, ensure that you go for a Coarse variety of the Besan. This is because we want the ladoos to have a coarse texture. Fine textured Besan Ladoos will stick in the mouth.
- Pure Ghee should be chosen for this Besan Ladoo recipe. Substituting it with anything else like Vanaspati or oil will only spoil the taste.
- If possible, use Marwari Boora shakkar for the Sugar part. It is a special type of sugar available to make Ladoos.
- Please don’t roast the Gram Flour or Besan on high heat. Otherwise, there is a burnt like taste in the ladoos.
Heat a very heavy bottomed pan. Add ghee to it.
Now add the coarse Gram flour or Besan. Ensure that the gas is on slow.
Now keep roasting the flour on a slow flame until a nice aroma starts to set in.
Continue roasting the flour until it reaches a nice orangish-golden colour.
Don’t stop stirring the flour, keep going continuously.
After about 25-30 minutes, the ghee will start oozing over the besan and it is in a semi-liquid state.
This is the stage when the Besan has cooked completely.
Switch off the flame and take it out in a large plate where you can cool this mixture completely.
After the mixture is cooled completely, add the sugar and elaichi powder.
With your hands, mix the entire mixture very well.
The more you knead this mixture with your hands, the more it will turn moist which will help you to shape it into ladoos.
This should take about 15-20 minutes.
Now that the mixture is moist, start shaping it into ladoos.